Bachelor of Science in HIM (BSHIM)
Apply to the BSHIM Major today!
HIM Majors must apply to the program and follow the guidance of an HIM Department advisor. Most HIM Majors begin the professional program in the fall semester due to the required course sequence.
BSHIM Degree requirements
This is our basic undergraduate degree plan with all of the coursework that is required for the degree. In addition to the General Education Core requirements, students must complete pre-requisites for BSHIM shown below:
- HP 3302 Statistics for the Health Professional
- BIO 2430 Human Anatomy & Physiology
- CIS 1323 Computer Information Systems
- HIM 2360 Medical Terminology
BSHIM Degree requirements – HIT Progression Program
This option is for those who have already completed an associates degree in health information technology at a community college and are progressing to the baccalaureate degree level. Some of the courses are marked through indicating credit given for the HIT courses to apply towards our BSHIM degree requirements.
The Health Information Management program at Texas State University is offered in two formats: On-campus and On-line. Degree requirements are the same for either delivery format. The program is in a two-plus-two format—two years of general core curriculum and prerequisite courses followed by two years of courses in the HIM professional phase of the curriculum.
Transfer courses can be accepted to meet the core and prerequisite coursework if the courses are equivalent and/or have the appropriate core designation.
RHIT’s (Registered Health Information Technicians) and those who have already completed one bachelors degree are advised to seek academic advising as soon as possible to determine what courses can be substituted, what courses can still be taken at a local college, and what courses must be completed at Texas State.
Tuition and Fee Information:
To apply to HIM, you must:
- have completed the majority of the Core and other prerequisite coursework
- have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- be eligible for admission to Texas State University. (University Application deadlines are different than the HIM Department deadline. Potential applicants are encouraged to complete the University process early to facilitate review of transcripts.)
- Submit the online HIM program application for consideration of beginning courses in the fall.
- Early academic advisement is encouraged to determine eligibility.
- Students who have already earned the RHIT certification or have completed other relevant degrees will be reviewed for advanced placement.